unit 3 task writing a formal letter
1. learn how to change or correct a text
2. learn how to conduct a discussion
3. learn how to write a formal letter
skills building 1 changing or correcting a text
1.through a game called “chinese whisper”, let ss learn when we are asked to pass information, we need to
v 1 correct grammatical errors and spelling mistakes
v 2 make changes to the information in the text
v 3 change the style or the tone
2. listen with the guide above
step 1 confirming information
1. discuss about what gm food is before listening
2. listen to the tape and make notes while listening
skills building 2 conducting a discussion
1. learn how to ask for people’s opinions and introduce new ideas to the discussion
v e.g. what do you think? / don’t you think so? /do you agree? / is that your opinion too?
v e.g. another argument is that… / don’t forget… / on the other hand, … /we can also… / but what about…?
step 2 reporting back to a science journal
1. ask students to talk about gm food briefly with the note they made in step 1.
2. discuss the information among group members
3.prepare an interview between a scientist and a student, using the information you’ve collected.
skills building 3 writing a formal letter
1. learn the basic elements of a formal letter
v e.g. your address / the date / receiver’s name, job title and address / formal greeting / formal ending / your name and signature
2. learn some useful phrases to start and end a formal letter, then finish the task.
v start: with reference to… / thank you for… /in reply to… / i am writing to inform you …
v end: i would be grateful if you could… / i hope you would… / i look forward to hearing from you soon. / if you require any further information…
step 3 writing a letter about gm food
v read the first letter and ask students to list the main points about gm food.
v read the second letter and ask students to list the main points about gm food.
v combine the points together what we’ve learned from step 1 & 2, then finish part b on page 57. you can discuss with your group members.
part b on page 57